The annual 10 under $20
featuring area businesses
So many gifts, so little money and time. This is the time of the year when we shower our loved ones with gifts to say thank you. But it’s also a busy time of the year when there are a lot of activities. Time is of the essence in this busy season. To help you save time and money, we shopped local retailers throughout Monroe County and offer you a curated list of 10 gifts under $20. MCHAO@Gannett.com Mary Chao
Columnist Rochester Democrat and Chronicle USA TODAY NETWORK PHOTOS BY CARLOS ORTIZ @CFORTIZ_DANDC/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
3. Christmas pickles by Will’s Dills, $7.99, Calabresella’s Delicatessen, 1386 Buffalo Road, Gates. A Christmas pickle is a tradition for some, with hanging a pickle on the Christmas tree said to bring good fortune. And now there’s the edible pickle in a jar for those hostess gifts. Will’s Dills is named after Dominic Mammoliti’s son, Will. The Mammoliti family owns the Gates deli and this is their own line of gourmet products. The pickles are spicy and salty.
4. Desk plate. $4.99, Record Archive 33 1 ⁄ 3
Rockwood St., Rochester. Let them know who’s the boss with this desk plate. There are several different versions of the desk plate to show people you’re in charge.
1. Children’s leggings by Izzy and
Owie , $14. Parkleigh 215 Park Ave., Rochester. How cute are these leggings? It’s a fun way to dress your kid up and they’re unisex — with themes such as owls, mermaids and baseball. Pavilion Gift of Bergen came up with this new line of children’s gear.
2. Bamboo Rochester ornament, $12.99, Fahsye, 212 N. Winton Road Rochester. Do you or someone you know love Rochester? Here’s an ornament with a Rochester skyline to remind you of your favorite city. It’s designed by local artist Suthida Sakulsurarat.
5. Silk scarf, $20, Paislee Boutique, 1900 S. Clinton Ave., Brighton. Fatima Bayram Sable, co-owner of Paislee, scoured the world for these pretty scarves. Scarves are still very much in vogue and these luxurious scarves comes in many colors and patterns.
See 10 GIFTS UNDER $20, Page 6C
10 gifts under $20
PHOTOS BY CARLOS ORTIZ @CFORTIZ_DANDC/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
Continued from Page 1C
6. Diamond cut cuff bracelet, $16, Evie, 1778 Empire Blvd., Penfield, and Studio Expo, 2860 Buffalo Road, Gates. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend but if you can’t afford the rocks, a diamond cut bracelet adds bling without the hefty price tag.
7. Britto wine stopper, $20, Red Bird Cafe and Gift Shoppe, 25 S. Main St. Brockport. For the art and wine lover in your life, a colorful accessory to brighten the home.
Romero Britto is a Brazilian neo-pop artist who combines elements of cubism, pop art and graffiti painting in his work.
9. Animal art coasters, four for $15 at Fly By pop-up shop at 45 Schoen Place in Northfield Commons, Pittsford. Artist Kaaren Anderson of Solveig Studio created a series of colorful pet portraits.
These coasters are great for the animal lover in your life.
8. Snoozies slippers, $14.99, The Glue Factory, 3252 Union St., Chili. These popular slippers are snug and cozy for those winter nights and come in a variety of designs. The cat slipper is the most popular at The Glue Factory.
10. Artisan sponge holder, $18, Mostly Clay, 7 Schoen Place, Pittsford. Functional art is what pottery is all about and this has a purpose: holding a sponge. It’s an artistic way to make those mundane chores look pretty. Several area artists have variations of the sponge holder at Mostly Clay, this one is by Karl Schneider.